Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lime Sugar Sables

I had a bunch of limes to use up so I decided to try to put a twist on Dorie's sables. In order to pump up the lime flavor, I first made lime sugar. I took about 3/4cup of sugar and threw it in the food processor with a heaping tablespoon of lime zest and pulsed a few times. Let the lime sugar sit for awhile to develop the flavor and then used in the cookies and as the rolling sugar for finishing. This helped to increase the flavor but I wanted even more lime! Next time I would almost double the zest-might turn the cookies green but the sacrifice would be worth it.

The recipe follows. I also made a little chocolate ganache too and turned these lime sables in to little chocolate sandies.

Lime Sables *adapted from Dorie Greenspan
8ounces of butter at room temp
1/2 cup of lime sugar plus more for rolling
1/4 cup of confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg (or two egg yolks, either seems to work)
2 cups flour

beat the butter. Add sugars, salt then eggs beating after each addition. Add flour and carefully mix in, try very hard not to mix any more than necessary. Place dough on some cling and roll into a log. Pop into the refrig for a few hours. When ready, dampen the outside with egg or water and roll in a mix of any of your remainiing lime sugar and decorating sugar. Slice about 1/2 inch think and bake at 350f until they start to slightly brown at the edges. Cool on a rack and consume.

4 comments:

Jules Someone said...

I love me a good lime cookie. Those are nice!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Have you tried Boyajian Lime Oil? I have the lemon and orange oils and they add a lot of flavor. Good for flavoring but not so good if you need tartness.

Sophie said...

We would like to feature your adapted recipe for lime sugar sables on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

Barbara said...

Oh, I want to try those -- what a great idea to make lime sugar!