Friday, October 17, 2008

Spike Can Can

After apple picking this year, I decided I really wanted to try canning applesauce (you know but without all the effort I assumed it required). Canning is one of those things I've always wanted to say that I do. To show up at someone's house with a jar of strawberry jam, or open up a cupboard in winter to a row of jars with handwritten labels. I take great pride in using homemade vanilla- I'll post on how that works soon. However, I can be lazy AND I am trying not to buy lots of equipment that won't fit in my kitchen. So how would this work...

I stopped by AC Moore to pick up some jars and figured I could make do with what I had for the rest of the equipment- tongs, various pots and pans. I did a little online research...I liked this straight forward approach to canning best. And I consulted Bon Appetit's how to (the article that started this project in the first place). Here's how it went:

First I cooked the apples with water, orange juice, sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Meanwhile the jars were running through the dishwasher.

Then I sanitized the jars in hot water

Then the filled jars (with about a half inch of room left to the top) were put back into the hot water for sealing.
Add that was it! Man that should have been harder. Next time I would use a tad less cinnamin or maybe just add an extra apple. Here is the recipe for the sauce if you want to give it a whirl:

Apple Sauce for Canning:
Peel, core and chunk up 9 pounds of apples (use a variety of kinds, the less sweet the better)
Toss with a 1/3 cup of orange juice as you chop. Place apples and juice in large pot with 2 cups of water, 2 1/4 cups sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook apples until soft and then mash them up. Follow the directions from the link above to process the jars in hot water.

7 comments:

Lady Baker said...

I have always gone down the aisle of an AC moore--or similar store, seen the jars for canning and have thought "I wish I did that..." but dismiss it assuming there is too much involved...You may have changed my mind on this!!

Cathy said...

You know, canning is one of the many things I have always wanted to take up too. Surely it can't be as easy as you describe -- can it? I might have to try!

Joy the Baker said...

I have loads of apples and was thinking of tackling a canning project. Thanks for the push of inspiration! It'll either be applesauce or apple pie... I'm totally leaning towards the sauce now.

Mary said...

I make homemade applesauce too, I cook the apples in cider for an extra bit of apple flavor, and I've found another trick I'd like to share....add a bit of your homemade vanilla when the sauce is done cooking...it adds just the right extra oomph...

swandiver said...

That was way easy! But how long do they keep? I'm just a single person who's looking into canning because I share a fridge and need the room. Am I going to can a bunch then have it spoiled toward the end of winter?

Hannah a.k.a.Topiary Lady said...

I'm so planning on canning applesauce and haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the reminder. Canning is easy!! I usually don't add water at all, or maybe a 1/4 cup at most and just cinnamon and spices, no sugar. It is so good that way, and good for you too!

I also canned tomatoes and peaches this summer. Yummy!

Marysol said...

I started canning late last year; I began with habanero pepper jelly, meyer lemon marmalade and a few others, but have yet to try canning apples, until I stumbled onto your blog, you enabler.