Tuesday, October 28, 2008

TWD: Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes

Let me preface this by stating that I love Halloween. Some people do not, and I am sad for them. I love vampires, ghosts, costumes, wigs...
Needless to say, I was pretty excited to make Halloween cupcakes for this week's TWD. I made the cupcakes according to Dorie's recipe (found here) and found the cake part to be okay. Others had problems with dry cake, mine wasn't dry but wasn't very flavorful. The ganache style frosting was amazing. It was like a grownup frosting and all the grownups I served them to loved it.Now for the fun part...decorating! First I made a pretty standard ghost by melting and spreading some leftover white chocolate candy melts I had hanging out. I stuck some mini chocolate chips in for the eyes.
I was really anxious to try making a vampire cupcake. You see, I've always loved anything vampires (buffy, angel, ann rice, true blood, lost boys....). I recently read the Twilight Saga and got a tad bit obsessed with one Edward Cullen. So, This is my Edward Cullen Inspired cupcake:
I used white chocolate to shaped the teeth and the red icing gel for the blood. It's a cupcake that bites back.The movie for twilight comes out next month, see the preview here. So, if you at all like vampires and don't get embarrassed reading teen books then definitely try out the Twilight Saga. After all, only a vampire can love you forever.

10 comments:

n.o.e said...

Your vampire is quite effective, but I have to say I like the cute little ghostie! Wasn't the ganache fab?
Nancy

chocolatechic said...

Adorable!!!

The Food Librarian said...

Your ghost looks great! His (or her?) chocolate chip eyes are cute!

Candy said...

Great job! I like the Halloween theme.

CB said...

First of all... Team Edward baby! I CAN NOT wait for the movie. 24 days and counting... HAHA. Love all your cupcakes. I think my favorite is the ghost. So cute! Thanks for baking with me this week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Engineer Baker said...

Such a cute ghostie! And reading the twilight series can't be as bad as going to see high school musical 3 in theaters, so you're one up on me!

Pamela said...

Nice job decorating. I definitely need to get more creative. Now if only I could find more time!

Rebecca said...

The vampire ... aaaaaaagh! So awesome.

Teanna said...

Love. Edward. Cullen. I can't WAIT until the movie comes out... and I am 27 years old. I'm going to have to hide in the back of the theater! Haha! Your cupcakes are great!

Barbara said...

I did vampire cupcakes too! Love the spikey teeth on yours. I am waiting for my library to send me the first book of the Twilight series, but the list is so long I may end up having seen SEVERAL Twilight movies by then. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy the books.