Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TWD: Kugelhopf

I was prepared not to make this week's TwD recipe. The cold dark weather has me indoors more than I like and I'm putting on weight at a steady rate. I thought it might be a good idea to take a week off from sweets. Then I read that Kugelhopf (or Gugelhupf) is a German cake and I had to make it. One of my best buddies moved to Deutschland a few years ago and the recipe made me think of him. How could I not make it?
I used a regular bundt pan, having no specialty Gugelhupf pan. The traditional flavorings are contains raisins, almonds and cherry brandy. I decided to skip the raisins and almonds because I didn't have any and soak some dried cherries in cherry brandy instead. I also used a mixture of cherry brandy and butter for the soaking after the cake was finished.
The dough never seemed to come together quiet right after using the dough hook but I put it in the fridge and hoped for the best. Luckily, everything came out all right. This cake was so good! A great texture inside and a nice crust on the outside. The brandy definitely took the flavor up and was a great addition. I ate way too much of this!

7 comments:

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Mixing cherry brandy with the butter was an excellent idea! I'm going to try that next time!

chocolatechic said...

Wow!

It looks fabulous.

Mine didn't want to raise.

Anne said...

Your last photo is wonderful! It looks great and I'm glad it was a hit. :)

pinkstripes said...

Oh, I'm definitely adding brandy next time. YUM!

Cathy said...

Glad you liked this! Cherries soaked in cherry brandy? ooooooooh that sounds good!

Molly Loves Paris said...

It's all about taste, really. And I always love cherries in just about anything. I added cherries soaked in brandy also.

Jules Someone said...

Looks really nice. Cherry brandy sounds yummy.