Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Caramel Crunch Bars

I've been eyeing this recipe for awhile. The photo in Baking from My Home to Yours shows these bars made into perfect ice cream sandwiches. I have a special love for ice cream sandwiches. Maybe I was a boring child (I recently found a kindergarten report card where my teacher said I was too serious) but when the ice cream truck came, I always got the ice cream sandwich. Sometimes when I was feeling wild, I would go with the neopolitan but usually it was just this one:I'm a lot wilder now than as a kid (kind of backwards) especially in my taste of dessert- but I was still excited to make an ice cream sandy.

So, I cut this recipe in half and decided to make round cookies. I put about a tablespoon of dough each into mini muffin cups- and then shortened the baking time to 10 minutes. I was a little worried about getting the cookies out of the tin because Dorie tells you to line the pan with foil, not exactly partical for mini muffin cups. But with the help of a butter knife they came right out.

But then I realized that I hadn't made these thin enough. I tried to make an ice cream sandwich and it looked like this:Not really going to fit in my mouth. So I made an open faced ice cream sandwich.These cookies are perfect on their own but deadly with a little coffee ice cream. Thanks to Whitney of What's left on the table for picking this week, check out the other TWD creations.

25 comments:

nbalike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nbalike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steph- whisk/spoon said...

i'd always get the ice cream sandwich when we'd go to the pool. haven't had one in years, but can still taste them! love your mini muffin crunches!

Amanda said...

These look perfect, nice job! Mine were a bit crisp, but still tasty :)

vibi said...

Beautiful, Spike!

I too always had a soft spot for the ice cream snadwich! Now, we didn't have the ice cream truchk coming on our street... but when my mom would buy ice cream sandwich, it always felt much more luxurious than... a simple tub of ice cream!

pinkstripes said...

I love your open-faced ice cream sandwich and mini-round bars. These were perfect with ice cream no matter how you ate them. YUM!

chocolatechic said...

They are just to cute for words.

Cathy said...

Open-faced sandwiches are my favorite. I think they look perfect -- love your idea to make them in mini muffin tins!

Jennifer said...

Your mini muffin idea was great. Even though the "sandwiches" didn't come out quite like you hoped, the open faced idea was good (and save a few calories, too! Well, at least if you stopped at one...)

TeaLady said...

Oh, those do look good. Great job.

Elra said...

Delicious looking bar, seriously... I don't think I'll manage to eat just one.
Cheers,
Elra

Anne said...

Wow, those are adorable! I love the change of shape with the different pan. Great job!

n.o.e said...

OMW, with coffee ice cream? Amazing! That's the best flavor out there. Your open faced sandwiches are tooooo cute.
Nancy

mike said...

Ha, very creative - mini-bites! Love 'em. I bet they taste great with the scoop of ice cream too. They look fantastic - nice baking there!

Linda said...

we're on the same wavelength... i went open-faced as well!
Nice job!

Jules Someone said...

Very cute! Nice effort trying to make an ice cream sandwich. ;-)

Maggie said...

These sound great topped with coffee ice cream.

Pamela said...

That was a good idea, to put them in the mini muffin tin. I always loved the ice cream sandwich when I was a kid, too. Still do! Nice job.

Jennifer said...

YOU ARE SO CREATIVE!!!! I love the look of your round bars!!!:)

The TriniGourmet said...

How cute! little mouthfuls! :) I think I will give that idea a try the next time around :) *adds mini muffin tin to shopping list* :)

Teanna said...

Haha your open faced sandwich is AWESOME! And great for portion control!

Jilla B said...

Great idea!

Leslie said...

Ohh, I bet they rocked with coffee ice cream! I love how you did them as cookies.

The Food Librarian said...

Cute little (well, big) sandwiches! These rock! They are so cute.

Secret Server said...

those are great. I, too made coffee ice cream and had too-thick-for-sandwiches bars.