Tuesday, March 17, 2009

French Yogurt Cake (x2)

I was obsessed with this cake before I even started making it. It sounded like the perfect thing to bake. I love making anything in a loaf pan because it looks effortless and humble but then usually surprises everyone by tasting amazing. I even bought a new laf pan before making the second cake.

Second Cake?

Spike, did you screw up the first cake?!No, I didn't. I made the lovely Riviera version of this cake first. I added thyme and used a low fat greek yogurt. Then for the olive oil, I used half cheap rather tasteless olive oil and half lovely fragrant fruity olive oil. The result was a rich, slightly sweet loaf cake. It was perfect toasted with goat cheese and sliced cucumbers:
A lovely combination of sweet, rich and refreshing. Yes, I just put a vegetable on cake and called it a meal.

So why the second cake? Um, have you noticed how many times I've used the words "perfect" and "lovely" already in this post? Then how could I not make the original version of the cake?I made the original recipe but used orange zest instead of lemon. This recipe was delish too. I couldn't help myself, I had to make a topping for this cake. I decided to whip up a little cream cheese frosting- adding more orange zest and some almond paste. Recipe follows. It was pretty good spread thinly on top of a slice of cake. Okay, it was way better than pretty good. And now I've had entirely too much cake in the past week. I'm off to go running now...Orange Almond CC Frosting
3 ounces cream cheese
1 tbs almond paste, mashed into pieces
1 tbs orange zest
about 1 cup of powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, almond paste, and zest on high until smooth.

Slowly add the powdered sugar a couple of tablespoons at a time until thickened and has desired level of sweetness.


Thanks to our host is Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction for picking this week!

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your cakes both look beautiful, but I do love that you combined cucumbers and goat cheese with one...that photo is lovely!
LOVING the shamrock plate, too, by the way. That plate would be quite the hit where we both live!!!!

myfamousrecipe said...

I can't imagine this cake being anything other than fantastic, no matter how you slice it, bake it, or glaze it. I'll have to try this with the cream cheese frosting.

chocolatechic said...

ooOOOOooo

Goat cheese and cucumbers.


Sounds fabulous.

n.o.e said...

Ooooh, Spike, making two cakes! I can totally understand. When I finished the Riviera my first thought was "now I need to try the original." I'm so glad you did it for me! Love both of your toppings; the goat cheese and cucumber is positively inspired!
Nancy

pinkstripes said...

Wow! You had me at the first cake with goat cheese and cucumbers. Sounds amazing.

And then you made the original too. How cool is that?

Jennifer said...

I made two cakes, too, so great minds must think alike! Of course, my first cake wasn't as original and unique as yours, which looks great, by the way, but it was great.
I was already wanting to make the riveria version so now I feel I absolutely must do so! (And I won't feel nearly as guilty as eating it for a meal as I did the sweet version!)

Jules Someone said...

Both of those versions sound amazing. I may have to make the savory one.

Secret Server said...

Cake and a vegetable sounds like a perfect meal to me. Both your cakes sound great.

vibi said...

Finally!!! EUREKA! We have found something Spike goes crazy for!

Mark this day with a red felt marker! LOL LOL LOL

Seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed it that much... enough to have it with cucumbers anyways! LOL

Your pictures are super!

SUGAR B said...

Spike rocks. I am so glad you outdid us with 2! Nice job, my friend!

I am making this again, so good.

Thanks for visiting my site!

Nice to meet you!

Lady Baker said...

If you didn't have me with goat cheese and cucumbers, you had me at orange cream cheese frosting....love your variations on this AMAZING cake!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Love the sounds of the Riviera cake. Good to know it's just as delicious.

Audrey said...

I want to borrow your first picture, because that's what my second cake looked like - perfect!! - until it sank. Only a little...not enough to keep it from being fabulous. Lovely? Absolutely!

Cakelaw said...

Both versions look fabulous Spike (I made an orange one too) - cucumber and goats cheese on cake sounds like a great meal!

Liliana said...

Both cakes look delicious! I almost made the Riviera version and after seeing your wonderful photo of the cake with cucumbers and goat cheese, I just have to.

Thanks for stopping by!

TeaLady said...

That looks really really good. Perfection in a loaf. Great job.

Babette said...

I Love love love the photo of sugar with lemon! Wish I'd taken one. And my family wishes *I* had made two loaves...

Engineer Baker said...

Vegetable on cake = meal? I'm totally there. Gorgeous. I should have made two of these too...