Sunday, August 9, 2009

Snickerdoodles! (with white chocolate cinnamon ice cream)

For once, messing around on google reader during conference calls has paid off! I now get to sub in this week and host the Sweet Melissa Sunday recipe!!!I don't really take long in the choosing (4seconds tops) because I've been wanting to make Melissa's snickerdoodles for awhile. These cookies don't require anything special. You probably have all the ingredients in your house right now. Plus I've never met anyone who doesn't like a snickerdoodle. I don't know if it's the name or simple goodness of the cookie- probably both!
I made the cookies in two different sizes. One small scoop like the recipe calls for and one big scoop. Both came out well- the little ones were perfect for making ice cream sandwiches. My standard snickerdoodle recipe uses vegetable shortening instead of butter. This recipe is straight butter which makes for a tastier dough, which I sampled frequently as it refrigerated. The end result of the cookies was pretty similar to my other recipe, soft and chewy. These do go from chewy to crunchy pretty fast so watch them closely in the oven.

The ice cream is white chocolate cinnamon. The chocolate is subtle but mellows the cinnamon nicely. Recipe for the ice cream to follow soon but the snickerdoodle recipe (along with my notes) follows. Thanks to all the Sweet Melissa bakers for baking with me this week!

Snickerdoodles

Makes 3 dozen cookies

For the dough:

½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 ½ cups sugar

2 large eggs (Spike note- always good to have your eggs at room temp too)

2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoons cream of tarter

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

For the cinnamon sugar:

1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

½ cup sugar


In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and mix until combined.


In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined. The dough will be soft and too sticky to roll. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Spike note- or overnight)


Position a rack in the top and bottom thirds of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350f. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.


For the cinnamon sugar: Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Using a 1 ounce cookie scoop or a tablespoon, shape the dough into balls and then roll them in the cinnamon sugar. (Spike note- I like to flatten the cookies a bit while in the cinnamon sugar and then flip over as they are placed on the cookie sheet. That way you get a lot of the cinn sug on the top of the cookie).


Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Flatten them slightly with your fingertips so they stay put. Bake for about 12-13 minutes, or until the bottoms are slightly golden in color. (Spike note- check on the around 10 minutes). These cookies are supposed to be chewy, so do not overbake. Remove to a wire rack to cool.


Snickerdoodles keep in an airtight container at room temp for up to 4 days. For longer storage, freeze well wrapped in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 3 weeks. Do not uncover before defrosting.


24 comments:

Nina said...

Thank you so much for hosting this week! This was an awesome choice!

Jennifer said...

This looks awesome! My hubby LOVES snickerdoodles!!!! (and so do I for that matter!)

Lauren said...

Great choice this week! I love the ice cream sandwich idea :)

Sarah said...

Your ice cream sandwiches look scrumptious! Thanks for hosting this week, great choice - fun to make, and oh so tasty!

Tracey said...

Thanks for hosting this week Spike! I was psyched for a nice easy cookie recipe and these didn't disappoint! So soft and chewy - they were delicious. Love the ice cream sandwiches - white chocolate ice cream sounds awesome!

k.a.r.e.n said...

I loved this cookie!!! Its now my favorite. Thanks for a great pick!

Flourchild said...

So you do stuff like surfing the web during conf. calls too! My hubs is always looking for something else to do besides just sit here!
Your cookies look wonderful and thanks for the great choice.

Snooky doodle said...

oh cinnamon and white chocolate are terrific together. these look so delicious I m drooling on my laptop :)

Mrs. G said...

Tums! Thanks for hosting.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your cookies look great. What a great idea to make ice cream sandwiches. White choc/cinnamon sound great. Sorry I couldn't bake with you this week.

Cynthia said...

Thank you so much for choosing this recipe. I loved these cookies!!! If you haven't done so already, you should try the Snickerdoodle Ice Cream sandwiches created by Tartelette recently on her blog. She makes them with some of the best lemon ice cream I have ever had. I think the chewiness of the Sweet Melissa Snickerdoodles might actually make better ice cream sandwiches, although hers are good. Again, thanks for choosing this recipe.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for hosting and picking this wonderful cookies this week! I love them!! The ice cream is a nice touch! mmm!

Jessica said...

These cookies were awesome! Thanks for the great pick this week!

margot said...

Great choice and congrats on being the first one to get your selection in! They look awesome as ice cream sandwiches! I can't wait for the ice cream recipe; I bought too much white chocolate for the TWD brownie bites.

Kaitlin said...

Thanks for this selection! I loved it so much - my first time eating a snickerdoodle. And I think your ice cream pairing sounds fantastic.

Joy said...

Hi Spike!

Thanks so much for jumping in to host this week! I was so excited when you selected the snickerdoodles, and it was a pleasure baking with you :) Your cookies look fabulous and oh man, what a fantastic combination to pair the cookies with that white chocolate cinnamon ice cream- sounds amazing and I can't wait for you to share the recipe!

Hope to talk to you again soon!

-Joy

Palidor said...

I love how you turned them into ice cream sandwiches.

Hornedfroggy said...

I loved this choice! And white chocolate cinnamon ice cream? OM NOM NOM. Thanks again, Spike! :)

Katrina said...

Yum to snickerdoodles! Then you had to go throw in ice cream, too! Sigh.

pinkstripes said...

Thanks for hosting and choosing snickerdoodles. I didn't know how much people loved them until I made them. They came out in droves for them. Great choice. (the ice cream sounds delicious too).

Karin said...

That ice cream sounds so good- I LOVE white chocolate. Thanks for hosting this week. We had a lot of fun making these cookies.

Michele said...

Thanks for choosing such a great recipe! Your cookies look yummy.

Eliana said...

Thanks so much for choosing these. I'm a bit behind this summer but will be making them soon because yours look AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

Ola, what's up amigos? :)
Hope to receive any help from you if I will have some quesitons.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)