Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Banana Coconut Ice Cream Pie

I know. I'm picky about a lot of things. I turn my nose up at jam thumbprint cookies and anything with raisins but then I go and pick something with coconut AND bananas for Tuesdays with Dorie! I hadn't even noticed this recipe in Baking from My Home to Yours any of the one million times I'd opened it before. When it came time for my recipe selection, it jumped right out at me.

In New England, the weather has been gorgeous and I've been out grilling quite regularly. It seemed the perfect time to start making some ice cream desserts and celebrate the season. I should have made my own ice cream for this dessert but I was worried about it being too soft for the pie. I went with a hometown favorite- Brighams chocolate ice cream instead.

The crust of this pie is the star. Toasted coconut, butter and butter cookies pressed into a pie (or tart) pan. You could cut the crust up and just eat it like a cookie. Or if you dislike banana (bless the banana haters), fill the crust with just ice cream. Any kind of ice cream really. You'd be perfectly happy. In fact, I was when I made it again in little muffin cups filled with coffee ice cream.Or you can follow the recipe and add a puree of bananas and rum(!) to the chocolate ice cream to fill that coconut crust. I changed it up a bit by reducing the amount of banana and adding some chocolate chips to the puree. Extra chocolate never hurt anyone. Extra rum didn't either. Leave it to me to pick a recipe with alcohol in it.

On that note I added a little hot fudge to the top when it came time for a close up of the pie. I've been eating this all week for dinner while plotting what I'm going to fill that coconut crust up with next. David Lebovitz's coconut ice cream perhaps? a coconut extravaganza.

Thanks to all who bravely baked along with me this week- although funny enough, there was no actual baking involved which makes it another perfect warm weather dessert. The full recipe follows.

Banana- Chocolate Ice Cream Pie
Dorie Greenspan
Makes 8 servings

For the Crust
1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
5 butter cookies, such as LU Petit Beurre or shortbread, crushed into crumbs (about 1/2 cup)

1 ripe but firm banana

For the Filling
2 very ripe bananas
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbs dark rum
1 pint premium-quality chocolate ice cream

For Serving
1 rip but firm banana
1 tsp lemon juice

To Make the Crust:
Butter a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
Melt the butter in a medium heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut and cook, stirring without stopping, until golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cookie crumbs. Turn the mixture into the pie plate and press it over the bottom and up the sides. Freeze for 30 minutes. (If you'd like, once the dough is frozen, you can wrap the pie plate and keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.)
Cut the firm banana into thin slices and arrange the slices over the crust.

To Make the Filling:
Cut the bananas into chunks and toss them into a food processor along with the lemon juice and rum. Process until you have a smooth puree, scraping down the bowl as needed, about 20 seconds. Add the ice cream and pulse the machine on and off in quick spurts, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, about 8 times, or just until the ingredients are blended- don't process so long that the ice cream melts.

Scrape the ice cream into the piecrust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and freeze it for at least 4 hours. (If you want to keep the pie longer, wrap it airtight and freeze up to 2 months.)

When you are ready to serve, slice the firm banana into very thin rounds, toss the slices with the lemon juice (to keep from blackening) and arrange the rounds in decorative circles on the top of the pie.

Playing Around: In addition to whatever add-ins you might want to include (Spike adds chocolate chips to the banana puree), you can also change the flavor of ice cream. Dorie sometimes makes this pie with vanilla ice cream, but the filling is not a pure color- the bananas turn the ice cream a little dark. This never bothers her!

Serving: Once the top banana is in place, the pie is ready to be served. It can be served plain, but, in keeping with the tropical theme, some sweetened whipped cream would be nice- or even whipped cream with a splash of rum.

Storing: Without the banana decoration, the pie can be wrapped airtight and frozen up to 2 months; serve tight from the freezer.

49 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao Spike ! Thank you so much for hosting this wonderful tasting ice cream pie !

Clivia said...

Perfect recipe for our first heatwave of the year! Thanks.

LDH said...

Great recipe Spike! You picked a winner :)

Romaine said...

Your variations sound so much better than the original. I will use fudge sauce next time. And I love the mini pie in the second picture.

Cristine said...

Your pie looks fantastic! I made some changes but look forward to making it as written one day. Thanks for hosting!

The Mortensens said...

Your pictures look fabulous!

Lady Baker said...

ugh..now I'm really embarrassed about my lack of good photos this week after seeing yours!

What a fab pick you did this week! I will definitely be making this again this summer--thanks for helping me find a nice no-bake option!

Katrina said...

I made some alterations. But now I can't wait to try that coconut/cookie crust sometime! I knew if I'd made the whole pie, I would have been the one eating too much of it! I made ice cream sandwiches with Dorie's Coconut Butter Thins.

Jules Someone said...

Not a fan of coconut, so I skipped this one. Yours looks amazing, though! I may have to try this one sans coconut. Yum!

cindy said...

Thanks for a great pick. I think my freezer will contain some version of this pie all summer! Delish.

Flourchild said...

Thank you for the great pick. I agree with you the crust was the best part! My family enjoyed this ice cream pie and Im sure I'll make it again! Your pie looks great!

Beryl said...

Loved this pick! I didn't make my own ice cream either but I'm already obsessing over that coconut ice cream idea.

Valerie said...

I love this pick! I just wish I had made the right ice cream tart. Yours looks amazing, and you are so right about rum. :)

Amber Marie said...

This was great - thanks for the pick! The crust was unbelievably good. You did an awesome job of capturing a pretty pic - ice cream is never photogenic for me!

Gabe's Girl said...

Amazing! Great pick. My freezer overdid mine, but I think I am going to try it again and use someone else's freezer! Your pics are wonderful!

Mary said...

Wonderful pick! As a fellow New Englander, I was extra excited for your post. You did a good job photographing the ice cream too...all my ice cream pictures look like mud...or worse.

Tia said...

the close up first pic is awesome! sorry...

i did a rewind- lenox biscotti instead! bananas/coconut are just not my thing :)

Linda said...

Spike- I would have totally passed over this recipe if it weren't for you. I was so surprised at how yummy this turned out...thanks for a great pick!

I especially love your mini-pie...a perfect two bite dessert!

mike said...

GREAT choice Spike! That crust is my new favorite "add in"! I can't say enough about it. And I love the fudge topping - your photo is stunning! You can't add enough to ice cream. I almost made homemade ice cream as well - but storebought worked just fine. LOVED this recipe!

sarahe said...

thanks for the pick! it was perfect for this warm weather!

Engineer Baker said...

Whoa, I think I'd go for it even more if it had coconut ice cream in it - that sounds amazing! And kudos for picking such an interesting recipe!

Judy said...

Great choice! I felt that the crust and ice cream would be a perfect dessert combination any time.

alvarosa said...

I would have never made this otherwise, so thanks a lot for bringing me this Pie! I liked most that it is simple but still offers a lot of variations - and a lot of possibilities to make it very quick and easy with only a few ingredients and store-bought icecream, or very sophisticated.

Leslie said...

Great pick, Spike! As you know, I skipped the bananas (even though I love them) in favor of letting the ice cream be the star. I never though of fudge sauce on top but that would take this to the next level. I know I'll be making this one a lot.

Lauryn said...

Your pie/tart looks amazing!! I sat this one out this week and I am regretting it! Sorry i didn't bake along with you! :(

Cathy said...

Fun pick Spike! I wimped out and went with vanilla, but I'd happily have a piece of your chocolate version. I agree that the crust was awesome. Great pick!

Erin@The Sweet Life said...

Thanks for picking this. It was sooo good! I hope you didn't catch too much crap for picking something with coconut AND bananas!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, yours looks extra specialy good! Thanks for the great pick :)

Jaime said...

i never even saw this recipe in the book! great pick, i loved it! thanks for hosting

Peggy the Baker said...

This was terrific! And perfect for our weather in Rochester, NY which has turned to summer overnight!

Rachel said...

I love your pictures! Great pick this week!!

Annette said...

Great pick! I loved the crust. I skipped the bananas and made a coconut caramel version.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I have to applaud your courage in selecting this recipe, knowing that there are so many "haters" out there! Luckily there are lots of "lovers" too, and I'm one of them!!! This was great; I modified the crust to be gluten free and luckily my version was fab too. That deeply toasted coconut was so crunchy and wonderful.

Your coffee ice cream variation will be in my dreams this evening - wow does it look good!

Gracie said...

Thank you so much for choosing this recipe. YUMMY!!!

SiHaN said...

good choice spike! pity I didn't have the time to do this one. Looks delightful anyway! Cheers!

Jenn H in San Diego said...

I love the idea of making the cups. And who wouldn't love this with MORE chocolate. Thanks so much for choosing this recipe!

jillbert said...

This was an awesome selection! Honestly, I wasn't so sure at first, but I loved it - especially the crust.

Your mini with the scoop of ice cream looks so cute. I'd like to try some other variations with the crust too.

jillbert said...

Oh, I forgot to say thanks for your tips on the P&Q. I omitted some of the extra banana, and I was happy with the result. Your enthusiasm is what convinced me to make this too!

TeaLady said...

A great beginning to the Ice Cream Season. This was a great pie - and yes, the crust was king!!

Beautiful shots! Perfect Pick!!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Great pick Spike! I loved the crust also and thought it would also be yummy frozen in a flat sheet and broken up like brittle and used as a top instead of a bottom! Your pie looks great!

Kayte said...

Wow, you took yours up a whole other level...this looks like some really elegant version of a restaurant dessert. Lovely. Thanks for the pick, it was fun to make!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

extra chocolate and rum never hurts! thanks for a super-fun hot weather pick!!

Charli said...

The crust was definitely the star here--great pick!

Jeannette said...

Your pick was one that I neeeeeverrrr would have chosen on my own. I'm sorry that I haven't posted yet (I promise the crusts are sitting in my freezer waiting for their debut, I just need people to eat them!)

Your pie looks great. And I rather love the fact that you chose a recipe with rum in it. Rum + coconut +ice cream... um, hello lover?!

Jennifer said...

Well, I'm an idiot.

I thought I had commented, but apparently, I did not. I'm so sorry!

This was such a wonderful choice-especially given the heat we've experienced here in the Boston area the last few days! THANK YOU!!!!:)

dorie said...

I'm sorry to be so late leaving a comment on your gorgeous pie -- I was at sea, literally, without an internet connection and so I'm behind on everything. I love this dessert and was wondering when it would come up in the rotation. I'm so glad you chose it and that you and others liked it so much.

Tracey said...

I absolutely loved this pick Spike! Maybe a little too much as I ate more than my fair share of the pie :) I don't know how I'd missed this recipe when I flipped through the book, but I'm glad you saw it. The combination of flavors was awesome, though your variation will end up making an appearance at my house this summer too!

Sorry I'm so late to comment but thanks again for such a fun pick.

Teanna said...

I'm sorry this is late but I'm making it today for memorial day!!! I can't WAIT!

hannah @ thepastrykook said...

oooh this looks gorgeously delicious.