Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Caramel Pumpkin Pie

I remember an old Prairie Home Companion where Garrison Keillor writes something along the lines of "the best pumpkin pie you ever had is not all that different from the worst and it is all just an excuse to use nutmeg". I shared the feeling; pumpkin pie was never anything special.
That is until this pumpkin pie. I used a graham cracker crust which helped the cause. The caramel here adds just enough flavor so you know it isn't an ordinary pumpkin pie. Plus it is easy, even with the caramel making. Once the pie was transported, we served it with a little whipped cream, it was gone before I could steal a slice to photograph. Perfect pie for a fall day when the Pats win it in OT.

17 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I should have started over with my caramel.

It broke, and now my pie is bitter.

Tia said...

your crust looks fantatastic!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

A graham cracker crust with this sounds AMAZING! Great thinking! :)

cindy said...

Graham cracker crust is always yummy. This was a fun pie!
Have a great day.

The Mortensens said...

A graham cracker crust sounds great! I'm so glad you liked this pie. Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Mary said...

I've never had pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust, but it sounds fantastic! Great job this week.
:)

jillbert said...

Good idea for the crust! I skipped this one, but it sounds tasty.

Tracey said...

Go Pats!! How great was that game??

I love your use of the graham cracker crust. While I love Dorie's pie crust, it shrunk a ton when I prebaked it - definitely the most stressful part of the process for me.

Katrina said...

Graham cracker crust sounds yummy. I really liked this pie!

Jennifer said...

Your pie looks amazing-I made a graham cracker crust as well-but that was after I had some regular pie crust shrinkage.

That game was definitely a nailbiter. Thank God for Gostowski.:)

Jacque said...

Sounds like there were a bunch of pumpkin pie converts this week. Glad it was such a hit!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i like the graham crust idea! you're right--this was a special pumpkin pie.

Eliana said...

Hmmm - I have never been all that moved by pumplin pie but now based on this description alone I am going to have to give this recipe a try!

Karen said...

mmm graham cracker crust with this sounds divine! :)

The Food Librarian said...

This looks great. Love the graham cracker crust. Everything is better with graham crackers! ;) - mary

Pamela said...

Oh! A Graham cracker crust sounds just so good!

TeaLady said...

Yes, it was good pie. Have to try it with the graham crust.

Delish looking!!!