Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cranberry Shortbread Cake


You'll find no excuses here, just playing a little catch up. Even if I didn't comment, I read everyone's posts about this cranberry shortbread cake thing and knew I wanted to make it for thanksgiving. I've had a huge bag of cranberries in my freezer that I've slowly been working my way through and this recipe finally used the last of them. Huzzah!

I used clementines instead of orange in the filling and made that a day ahead. The crust is both perplexing and delicious in this dish. It is like a giant shortbread cookie housing a nicely tart filling. I thought the combination was fantastic. Others (non cranberry lovers) seemed less impressed with the filling but all for the crust. Here's the recipe. Thanks for a great pick Jessica!

I also baked up Dorie's chocolate pecan pie which I made last year as well. All desserts have finally left the house and I'm kind of dreading christmas cookies and another influx of baked goods at the moment. I will, however, be catching up on the FFwD roast chicken later in the week.

6 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Loved this one - I'm dreading all those Christmas sweets, too! :)

mike said...

Well you're not supposed to KEEP the Christmas sweets... that's the secret! :) Love the side view - you really captured the filling! I baked with Clementines for the 1st time last year - what great pieces of fruit! A beautiful shortbread/cake/torte/treat!

margot said...

That picture is reminding me how delicious that shortbread was, yum! Glad it was a hit at your Thanksgiving. I feel like the holidays started early this year and I'm not quite ready for xmas cookies.

Clivia said...

This recipe was one of my favourites of the year. Your slice looks nice!

Eliana said...

Hmmmm - looks glorious my friend :)

Tracey said...

I loved this one SO much, and your picture makes me want to head straight to the kitchen to make it again.

I'm all desserted out too, so I'm taking a little break from goodies this week before getting started on cookie baking.